Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cruising around looking for Dreamblade info turns up an unexpected warning and lesson

So I'm poking around the Internet on the Dreamblade official site, and Boardgame Geek and such and I happened to be looking at who else on BGG had played a lot of Dreamblade and I spot this fellow who had played about 50 times. And then I noted that his Geekbadge had the years 1970-2007 listed.

Hmm. That's awful young, I thought to myself, but that sure appears to be a lifespan. I quick check of his Dreamblade games showed they were all in 2006. Soon I spot a Memorial Tab on his BGG profile and it turns out the gentleman did, indeed, die back in 2007 around 37 years old. Apparently Scott Kelton was a game store owner, too.

And then this message by a friend reveals that this nice fellow (by all reports and he was a gamer, after all) died from an overdose of over-the-counter medicine. He had been persistently sick with a cold or flu (I know that routine) and had been taking Nyquil for several weeks straight. It shut down his liver. The friend noted that the bottle warns users not to use the medicine for more than 4 days. A sobering lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment