Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First glance: Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

I finally had a chance to get Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition on the table and I wasn't disappointed.

It's a big, grand and entertaining game.

I only played the original game a time or two and never played Revised, so I can't really compare it to those editions, but I like the presentation and play of this edition a lot.

The only thing that caught me a little by surprise is how long the game may end up being. We played a good five hours and got 6 or 7 turns done, but the game was definitely still up in the air when we had to call time. Russia had fallen, but unlike the earlier versions, in A&A:50 it appears that's not a reason to call the game for the Axis. While the Japanese were busy helping devour Russia and gobbling up China the British Empire and the USA were able to achieve absolute naval dominance over the globe and, in my opinion, the Axis were faced with a difficult question of "what next?"

It's not clear, but I'd sure like to play again and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment