Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sgt. Rock Our Army at War one-shot

I'm not a big comic book person, Sure, I pick up an issue now and then that catches my eye, but about the only genre I get on a regular basis are the rare war comics -- specifically war comics based on actual events, although I won't turn my nose up at well-done fantasy elements. I like The Haunted Tank, for example.


Sometimes these are good, such as the recent Lost Battalion series, sometimes they're just fair, like the newest Haunted Tank One Shot that came out this month. But every so often there's one that's really exceptional like this month's Our Army at War Featuring Sgt. Rock. Like the Lost Battalion series, Sgt. Rock isn't really the star or focus of this book, just an entry point. No, the focus of the story is on two American soldiers -- separated by two generations in time but sharing a hauntingly similar narrative. One goes to war because of Dec. 7, 141, the other because of Sept. 11, 2001, but the story of each is told with a interwoven parallel narrative that's been used in comics before, but very well here. I don't want to give any part of the story away, but let me say that the overall effect is amazingly powerful for a tale told in just 20 illustrated pages.
Here's a link to a review by a comic book reviewer who helps palce the book in context.

No comments:

Post a Comment